S. Nicolaes – Amsterdam
This stone chruch, dedicated to St. Nicolas, is today known as the Oude Kerk and is located in the heart of Amsterdam. Built around 1300, is the oldest building in the city.
This engraving is most likely by Claes Jansz Visscher (1587-1652) the patriarch of the famous Dutch mapmaking family. A similar piece from the same book in our collection bears the initials CJ Visscher.
Extraordinary 17th century copperplate engraving.
12 X 10 inches (platemark)
14.5 X 12 inches (full sheet)