David Arnold Burnand
(Paris 1888 – 1975 Lausanne)
Oil on Wooden Board
Signed Lower Right
Title written on Reverse
33 X 24 cm
The Swiss painter and illustrator David Arnold Burnand is known for his nudes, portraits and landscapes. Listed in the Benezit, he was the son of the famous Swiss painter Eugene Burnand and twin brother of Daniel Burnand, with whom he collaborated.
The son of the painter Eugene Burnand spent his childhood traveling with his parents between Paris, Florence, the South of France and Hautrive near Neuchatel in Switzerland.
Living in Paris in the 1920s he worked for the Salvaition Army ( l’Armée du Salut) and created murals for the Palais du Peuple, le Palais de la Femme and the Palais de l’Homme.
He exibited widely during his career both France and Switzerland. Burnand returned from Paris to Switzerland in 1939, and set up his studio at Villamont in the countryside near Lausanne. A series of consignments followed for the Banque Cantonale Vaudoise, Crédit Foncier in Lausanne and the Hospital in Yverdon.